Friday, April 24, 2015

April 20, 2015

So yep, this week we almost got struck by lightning! I've never really been this close to lightning before and so I thought it was awesome when one struck about 15 yards from us! But my companion told me we were in danger, which I kind of figured out, so we booked it off the mountain we were on. My area is pure mountains. It’s crazy!

This week was fantastic! I had the best time ever! Ok, so first we almost got struck by lightning, (so cool I had to write about it twice). The next day, we had an awesome district meeting where my companion and I did an awesome activity to teach the apostasy (try comparing the principles of the apostasy to a blender, or a hundred dollar bill… yeah, we did that). It was super fun, hahaha! Then, the next day we went to Tampico! We went for my generation meeting. A generation is all the missionaries that showed up to a specific mission at the same time. It was awesome because since my area is a 5 hour bus ride away, we went the night before and we got pizza and REAL MILK the next morning!! It was the best! Also, another newbie (Elder Rodriguez - from another part of Mexico) went out street contacting together and we got a family to start on the lessons in their home! Really neat, especially since I don’t really even know the language too well yet; OH WAIT, TURNS OUT I´M ROCKIN´ IT WITH SPANISH. I found out at the Generation Meeting that I am the best at Spanish of all the English speakers that were in my generation! Isn't that awesome!? And I participated so much at the Generation Meeting, that the President and the Assistant to the President thanked me for my participation and input! It was great!
On the way home, on the bus drive we got hungry so we got out when the bus driver stopped for a break.  He usually stops for about 15 minutes to use the restroom and other people get out too.  While my companion and I were buying our stuff a random dude came up and told us our bus was leaving without us. I’m still not sure how he knew what bus was ours but what a miracle right? I didn't have time to buy any food, but hey, we got on the bus and made it back to our casa so all is good :)  

The next day we went on divisions and I stayed in our area and the Zone Leader, one of them I mean, was with me in my area.  So I was in charge.  Yeah, it was a lot of pressure for a new missionary, especially because I knew I was being tested.... OH WAIT, NO IT WASN'T!  I looked at it as an opportunity to show him everything we had been practicing… and the results? 8 new investigators, 14 Lessons, and 5 Lessons with a member accompanying us, and 3 more contacts besides the 8 new investigators.  The average is about half that. And usually we aim to get 2 new investigators each day. Not one person that we ended up talking to walked away without an appointment for us to stop by their home and explain a little more about how the Gospel can bless their life. Honestly, I didn't even know that those kinds of numbers were possible. But I prayed basically all the day before that I would be able to use the confidence that the Generation Meeting gave me and I would be able to have the spiritual strength of Captain Moroni. I don’t remember what scriptures it is, but a little earlier in the same chapter that explains that if all men were as Moroni the powers of hell would be shaken forever and Satan would have no power over the children of men (or something like that), it explains how Moroni was a man "Full of thanks to his God, constantly working for the well being of his people, a man firm in the faith of Christ". And so I've been working really hard to have these attributes.  And it’s been majorly paying off! 
I got our Hammocks up in our room, because it has been so dang hot. It’s so humid here guys. It is nuts!  But also our area has been deemed as one where “missionaries go to die”, either they are about to go home the next transfer, or they come here and they lose all ability to be good missionaries and sluff off. It’s annoying for us because that makes what we have to work with basically nothing.  But we are bringing about a new trend here in Huejutla! We have 3 more baptisms planned for the next 2 weeks! Woo! And we should have many more on the way. 
Also we've been learning a Mexican Navaho type language here. I don’t know if I already told you, sorry if I did, but it’s awesome.  So one thing is Toaltecl Mixniki (To-al-Te-cull Mish-Snicky) which means, "Dios nos ama," which means God loves us. Also to knock at someone’s door (since no one has doors here), you just yell at their property, you say “¡Anastoque!”  Pretty neat stuff.  Also I made crepes this week, Along with even better Mac ‘n Cheese! Woo!  I also went running this morning and did like 4 bleachers and pole vault drills so I feel amazing today! In the hurricane where we almost got struck by lightning, my shoes got wrecked so I am wearing the brown ones with everything until I buy black shoes again, haha. But it’s all good. I’m not trying to impress anyone with how I look, just how I act and preach, I’m only trying to impress God.  Yep, that was my FANTASTIC AWESOME WEEK :)


I love you family! I’m sorry ran out of time to really address you all personally, but I love all of you!  Adios! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment